RE: Access for other projects and researchers?

From: George Necula (necula@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 10/06/00

From: George Necula <necula@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: RE: Access for other projects and researchers?
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:31:10 -0700

 I think that we should be open to communication with other researchers. On
the other hand we cannot just put everything that we generate in electronic
form on the web page because it would soon start to look as a pile of
unsorted material. For example, we should not make the mailing list archives
directly accessible to outsiders.

 As for slides, papers and other authored documents the rule should be that
the author should agree (informally but explicitly) to make that work
available and also to take responsibility of what is written in there (just
like with any other form of publishing).

 To avoid annoying visitors to the web page we should put mostly public
stuff on the home page and only one link should take us to the private
pages. I have not yet tried to access the page from home but I suspect that
I would not be able to get to the private page (I use ADSL through PacBell).
We'll need a solution to this problem.

 George.