FW: summer internships

From: George Necula (necula@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 12/11/00

From: George Necula <necula@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: FW: summer internships
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:25:52 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Manuel Fahndrich [mailto:maf@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 11:29 AM
To: 'aiken@cs.berkeley.edu'; 'necula@cs.berkeley.edu'
Cc: Rob DeLine
Subject: summer internships

Dear Alex and George,

Me and Robert DeLine are looking for two summer interns to work with us on
the VAULT language and compiler. The goal of the VAULT compiler is to enable
programmers to specify usage rules and have them checked automatically by
the compiler.
We have a number of ideas for summer projects, both more theoretic and more
hacking oriented. Examples of questions we would like to study are, how can
we type functions "polymorphically" over the linearity of types of certain
arguments? Furthermore, there are common cases of imperative loops, where
pointer relationships span arbitrary many links, for which we need more
expressive types than we currently have. We think some ideas from 3-valued
shape analysis can be adapted to these cases. We are also interested in
providing first-class modules to provide more flexible abstraction
mechanisms. On the more practical oriented side, we are looking for ways to
link with legacy C data structures, such as arrays, tagged unions, etc. in
order to simiplify the adoption of VAULT.

Please spread the word about VAULT internships among your graduate students.

Thanks,

-Manuel