Interesting seminar

From: Tom Henzinger (tah@ic.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 04/06/01

Subject: Interesting seminar
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:03:41 -0700
From: Tom Henzinger <tah@ic.eecs.berkeley.edu>

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:51:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Freddy Mang <fmang@ic.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To: <cad-seminar@ic.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
cc: Freddy Mang <fmang@ic.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: CAD Seminar next Wednesday (4/11): Dr. Shaz Qadeer

Speaker: Dr. Shaz Qadeer, Compaq Systems Research Center
Title: Predicate abstraction for software verification

Date: 11 April 2001 (next Wednesday)
Time: 5:00pm - 6:00pm
Venue: Hogan Room (531 Cory Hall)

Abstract:
A completely automatic method for software verification is impossible
since the problem is undecidable in general. Existing semi-automatic
techniques that require annotations, such as loop invariants, from the
programmer have had limited acceptance because the annotation burden on
programmers is perceived to be excessive. In this talk, I will describe a
method to infer loop invariants for programs written in a
general-purpose programming language. We have implemented this method and
used it to verify the exported procedure "create" from the implementation
of a file system Frangipani.

Our method for inferring loop invariants has several nice features
compared to previous methods. First, it can infer loop invariants with
universal quantifications; this is critical in the verification of
Frangipani whose
specification comprises a number of assertions on unbounded data. Second,
the method is based on forward analysis; it analyzes a loop in the context
of the code preceding it resulting in more precision. At the core of
our algorithm is predicate abstraction, a technique for characterizing a
program in terms of how it transforms the truth values of a finite set of
predicates. I will describe a novel algorithm for constructing the
abstraction
of a concrete set of states in terms of the predicates. I will also
describe experimental results showing that our algorithm is more efficient
in practice than existing algorithms.

Bio:
Shaz Qadeer received a B.Tech. from the Indian Institute of Technology
Kanpur in 1994. He received an M.S. and a Ph.D. from University of
California at Berkeley in 1997 and 1999 respectively. Since November 1999,
he has been at Compaq Systems Research Center. He is interested in the
formal design and analysis of hardware and concurrent software systems,
model checking and automated theorem proving.

------- End of Forwarded Message