Call for Software Design ideas

From: Tom Henzinger (tah@ic.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 10/05/01

Subject: Call for Software Design ideas
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 11:15:46 -0700
From: Tom Henzinger <tah@ic.eecs.berkeley.edu>

- -----Original Message-----
From: jsztipanovits
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 8:49 AM
To: 'tah@eecs.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: EMSOFT Tuesday panel

Tom,

Another thing...
I was cornered by the Software Design and Productivity CG of NCO (this is an
interagency coordination office for the White House) to organize a workshop
on SDP. The purpose is described below.
While these "national research agendas" ususally do no guarantee
substantial, long-term government funding, experience shows that their lack
pretty much guarantee the lack of funding.
I would like to ask you to send this note out to the EmSoft mailing list and
to any other places (e.g. Berkeley lists, etc.) where you think people would
respond.
Below you find a text we send out together with a pointer to the web-site.

Thanks a lot,

Janos

- -----------

Academic, industrial, and government researchers are invited to
submit white papers on research ideas in software design technologies
that can dramatically increase software productivity without compromising
software quality.

Submitted papers will be considered for presentation and discussion
at a "Workshop on New Visions for Software Design and Productivity:
Research and Applications" to be held December 13-14, 2001, at
Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. The output of the workshop
will be a public report prepared by the Federal government's Software Design
and Productivity (SDP) Coordinating Group (CG) that summarizes the ideas
identified in the workshop.
The workshop report will be used by Government agencies and policy makers in
developing a broad, long-term Federal software design and productivity
research agenda and guiding future software R&D programs. Such research is
critical to the security and economic viability of the U.S. and is highly
aligned with the President's Information Technology Advisory Committee
(PITAC) recommendation that the U.S. "make fundamental software research an
absolute priority."

Details of the workshop can be found at

  www.isis.vanderbilt.edu/sdp.

------- End of Forwarded Message