today's programming systems seminar

From: Alex Aiken (aiken@cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 12/02/02

From: "Alex Aiken" <aiken@cs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: today's programming systems seminar
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:16:57 -0800

Daniel Weise will be speaking in today's programming systems seminar,
from 4-5 in 310 Soda.

Alex

===========

How to Get Annotations and Specifications into Industrial Code: Three easy
lessons
Daniel Weise
Microsoft Research
Monday, Dec. 2 4-5 pm

groups are rapidly moving towards code annotations and domain specific
checkers for those annotations. Yet common wisdom from the academic
community had it that you could never get developers to annotate their code.
How did this happen? This talk will cover the current state of code
annotation and checking technology at Microsoft, how we got developers to
annotate code, and where we are headed.

Bio: Daniel Weise has advanced degrees from a respectable place (M.I.T.),
been faculty at a nearly respectable place (Stanford University), and run a
successful research group at a controversial place (Microsoft Research,
where his research group designed and built technology that is having
tremendous impact on Microsoft products). In spite of this, he now insists
on slumming in product groups because that's where he believes the important
action is, and that that's how to best effect change and how to get the good
ideas from research put into practice and have research ideas informed by
practice.