OSQ talk, Wed April 9, noon-1, -->320 Soda<--

From: Rastislav Bodik (bodik@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 04/07/03

Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:53:20 -0700
From: Rastislav Bodik <bodik@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: OSQ talk, Wed April 9, noon-1, -->320 Soda<--

Dear students,

On Wednesday, Darko Marinov, a student from MIT, will talk during a
special OSQ lunch, in a special room (320 Soda).  The abstract of his
talk is below.

Food will be served, but you need sign up to meet with Darko. :-) Please
send email to Liliana today.  See the schedule below.

--Ras

	Object Equality Profiling

	Darko Marinov, MIT
	April 9, Wed,
	noon-1
	320 Soda

This talk presents Object Equality Profiling (OEP), a new technique for
helping programmers discover optimization opportunities in programs.
OEP discovers opportunities for replacing a set of equivalent object
instances with a single representative object.  Such a set represents an
opportunity for automatically or manually applying optimizations such as
hash consing, heap compression, lazy allocation, object caching,
invariant hoisting, and more.  To evaluate OEP, we implemented a tool to
help programmers reduce the memory usage of Java programs.  Our tool
performs a dynamic analysis that records all the objects created during
a particular program run.  The tool partitions the objects into
equivalence classes, and uses collected timing information to determine
when elements of an equivalence class could have been safely collapsed
into a single representative object without affecting the behavior of
that program run.  We report the results of applying this tool to
benchmarks, including two widely used Web application servers.  Many
benchmarks exhibit significant amounts of object equivalence, and in
most benchmarks our profiler identifies optimization opportunities
clustered around a small number of allocation sites.  We present a case
study of using our profiler to find simple manual optimizations that
reduce the average space used by live objects in two SpecJVM benchmarks
by 47% and 38%, respectively.

This is a joint work with Robert O'Callahan from the IBM T. J. Watson
Research Center.

Darko Marinov is a graduate student at the Laboratory of Computer
Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he co-leads
the MulSaw project.  He received his S.M. from MIT in 2000 for work on
Credible Compilation.  He received his B.S. in Computer Science and
Engineering from the University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia. His research
interests include correctness of compilers and all aspects of program
verification, including specification languages and checking of code
conformance dynamically (software testing, run-time verification) and
statically (model checking, theorem proving, program analysis).

11:00 - 11:30	Ras Bodik 	665 Soda
11:30 - 12:00
12:00 - 1:00	talk 		320 Soda
1:00 - 1:30