PS Seminar on Thu 9/18 at 4pm

From: George Necula (necula@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: 09/15/03

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:05:29 -0700
From: George Necula <necula@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: PS Seminar on Thu 9/18 at 4pm

Hi,

 I realize that this talk is not in the regular PS seminar slot, but this is
due to some last minute change in the availability of the speaker. I hope
you can make it.

 George.

When: Thu 9/18 at 4pm
Where: 320 Soda

Title: Logical Algorithms
Speaker: Harald Ganzinger, MPI Informatik
(joint work with David McAllester, TTI, Chicago)

Abstract:
Nontrivial meta-complexity theorems, proved once for
a programming language as a whole, facilitate the presentation and analysis
of particular programs. The talk discusses several such theorems for
bottom-up logic programs. The theorems apply to many problems on graphs, and
in particular problems related to program analysis, if formulated as a
logical algorithm. One may also view this work as an attempt to identify
relationships between familiar concepts in logic (logical variables, term
constructors, equality, saturation, prioritized strategies) and algorithmic
paradims such as hashing, dynamic programming, union-find, and priority
queues.