kernel compiler hack

From: Jeff Foster (jfoster@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 10/24/00

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeff Foster <jfoster@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: kernel compiler hack

Here's the hack I mentioned at the meeting today.

Jeff

8. Nonexistent Functions In The Kernel - And Staying

10 Oct - 11 Oct (14 posts): __bad_udelay in 2.2.18pre15

Marcelo Tosatti [*] noticed that '__bad_udelay()' was used in 'udelay()'
for handling large values, but wasn't defined anywhere in the sources.
Horst von Brand [*] explained, "That is precisely the idea: Flag the
places where udelay() is called with a large constant value. Just won't
find out uses with large _variable_ arguments, but it is a start. Netted
one in PCMCIA-CS..." Alan Cox [*] added succinctly, "Its a compile time
error trap." Chris Swiedler [*] suggested, "Wouldn't it be better to use
an #error directive? I'm sure this could turn into a FAQ, even though the
symbol is called "__bad_udelay()"." Alan and Andreas Schwab [*] pointed
out that the test couldn't be done in the pre-processor, where #error
would be handled, but had to be done in the compiler itself.