(no subject)

From: George Necula (necula@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 12/05/02

From: George Necula <necula@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:44:47 -0800

	SPAM: The EECS department SpamAssassin FAQ is at
	SPAM: http://iris.eecs.berkeley.edu/idsg/SpamAssassin
	SPAM:
	SPAM: Content analysis details:   (1.30 hits, 5 required)
	SPAM: EXCHANGE_SERVER    (-0.1 points) Came via Internet Mail Service plugin
	SPAM: SUBJ_MISSING       (0.3 points)  Subject: is empty or missing
	SPAM: SPAM_PHRASE_00_01  (0.8 points)  BODY: Spam phrases score is 00 to 01 (low)
	SPAM: CARRIAGE_RETURNS   (0.3 points)  RAW: Message contains a lot of ^M characters
	SPAM:
	SPAM: ----------------- End of SpamAssassin results ------------------
Sender: owner-softquality@EECS.Berkeley.EDU

  J. Strother Moore from UT Austin will talk today at 2pm in Soda 380 about
his project on the verification of Java and the JVM. See the URL below:

 George.

Abstract:
I will explain how the latest version of the Boyer-Moore theorem prover,
ACL2, is used to prove theorems about Java methods. ACL2 may be thought of
as a theorem prover for functional Common Lisp. We model the Java Virtual
Machine (JVM) operationally, e.g., as a Lisp function. We prove theorems
about Java methods by compiling the methods with javac and proving theorems
about the execution of the resulting bytecode by the JVM model. I will
discuss the general approach and show some examples. The examples will deal
with Java's int arithmetic, simple control, including recursion, object
creation and modification in the heap, thread creation, and mutual exclusion
via monitors.

Bio: J Strother Moore holds the Admiral B.R. Inman Centennial Chair in
Computing Theory at the University of Texas at Austin. He is also chair of
the department. He is the author of many books and papers on automated
theorem proving and mechanical verification of computing systems. Along with
Boyer he is a co-author of the Boyer-Moore theorem prover and the
Boyer-Moore fast string searching algorithm. With Matt Kaufmann he is the
co-author of the ACL2 theorem prover. Moore got his PhD from the University
of Edinburgh in 1973 and his BS from MIT in 1970. Moore was a founder of
Computational Logic, Inc., and served as its chief scientist for ten years.
He and Bob Boyer were awarded the 1991 Current Prize in Automatic Theorem
Proving by the American Mathematical Society. In 1999 they were awarded the
Herbrand Award for their work in automatic theorem proving. Moore is a
Fellow of the American Association for Artificial Intelligence.