PS Seminar announcement

From: George Necula (necula@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 10/18/01

From: George Necula <necula@EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: PS Seminar announcement
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:33:28 -0700

 Hi,

 This coming Monday (Oct 22) Tim Priesnitz, visiting us from University
Saarland (Germany, will give a talk at 4pm  in Soda 310. His web page is at
www.ps.uni-sb.de/~tim.

TITLE

      Non-Structural Subtype Entailment in Automata Theory

ABSTRACT

     Decidability of non-structural subtype entailment (NSSE)
     is a long-standing, open problem in programming language
     theory. It was first raised by Remy and Pottier in the
     context of type inference and since then NSSE has been
     investigated numerous times (Henglein, Rehof, Sue, Aiken,
     etc.).

     In my talk, I characterize NSSE by regular expressions and
     word equations. It is well known that word equations are
     rather difficult to solve because they are capable of
     describing non-regular languages.
     My characterization shows for the first time why solving
     NSSE is so difficult - the reason is NSSE hides implicit
     word equations. My characterization then makes these word
     equations explicit. I show how to solve a fragment of NSSE
     by using Makanin's word equation result.